After GCSEs there are three main pathways to choose from and making the decision between the different pathways needs careful thought.
- General academic e.g. A Levels (offered at schools and colleges)
- Work-based: e.g. Apprenticeships (learning on the job but also with a learning provider)
- Vocationally-related: this could be through a ‘vocational subject’ related to a broad employment area such as business, engineering, IT, health and social care, etc. or through a ‘vocational course’ that leads to specific jobs such as hairdressing, accounting, professional cookery or plumbing
- There are also opportunities for young people to work or volunteer for 20 hours a week as long as they are also working towards a qualification – check this out with your school or college.
The pathway you choose will be based on the following:
- What grades of GCSE you have achieved
- How you like to learn
- Where and what you would like to study later
- What you want to do in the future
All year 11 students have independent careers information through targetted interviews and discussion. Our 'Hub' has a vast array of uptodate resources about careers, post 16 education.
We hosted an apprentice morning where local companies and apprentice training organisations spent time talking to small groups of students about what was available locally.
At St Martins School we work closely with North Shropshire College – to view their website please click here.
There are other educational establishments in the area including Yale, Thomas Adams, Shrewsbury 6th Form.
Open days/evening - remember if you have missed one of these open events don't panic, get in touch with the college or school.
Shrewsbury Sixth Form - https://www.ssfc.ac.uk/events – 15 & 23 October/ 7 November
Thomas Adams Wem – 3rd October
Moreton Hall – 21st September
Marches Sixth Form – 17th October
North Shropshire College
Open Events at the Oswestry Campus
- Information Event, Wednesday 23rd October 2019, 5.00pm - 7.00pm
- Information Event, Wednesday 12th February 2020, 5.00pm - 7.00pm
- Information Event, Wednesday 17th June 2020, 5.00pm - 7.00pm
Open Events at the Walford Campus (Land-based)
- Information Event, Saturday 19th October 2019, 10.00am - 12.00 noon
- Information Event, Saturday 8th February 2020, 10.00am - 12.00 noon
- Information Event, Saturday 20th June 2020, 10.00am - 12.00 noon
Coleg Cambria – (Yale site) 20th November - https://www.cambria.ac.uk/ other dates at other campuses on the website
A couple of new degree apprentices